Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Photo by Daren Mark Richner

I was thinking about you this morning, Dad.  I'm looking forward to having you and Mom around in the fall--it's always when I miss you most.  The Richner thanksgiving was always fun...and Grandma's Turkey Rice soup the day after was always the best ever.  I tried for years to make it like she did but couldn't figure out what she put in it to give it that flavor.  I finally figured out she put some of the turkey gravy in it.
Of course your being here means we'll celebrate Emily's and my Birthday together.  (And maybe Matt and I will have babysitters for an Anniversary weekend away!)  I'm also thinking you will need to get your return tickets for after Grace's Nutcracker performance.  Oh--and did I mention we are repainting the whole house?  I'm so looking forward to being with family.
But that got me looking ahead to your retirement.  I know you keep putting it off.  Now you're saying maybe a year, maybe two.  All I know is that I can't even really imagine what it would be like to have family living near me.  I've haven't had that since I was 18.  I keep thinking how great it will be to have you guys over for churrascos and get together for Sunday dinners.  I'm thinking it's about time you disciple Grace (Lord help us!) and Emily will ask you questions that will throw you for a loop for sure.  Sarah will only want one thing--for you to swing her.  Though she may let you pull her on the bike too.  Matt will love having a golfing partner I can't say no to (there's a place across the street from Roots that's only $10.00) and I will love having a shopping buddy (I mean Mom).  And Sam...I think it would be a good idea if he spent every other weekend with you.  ;-)
Ok, so this ended up being a post about ME instead of you.  But maybe it will make you smile to know how much I'm looking forward to being with you.
Love you Dad,
Becky

PS I will write a response to your other posts.  Just haven't quite put it all together in my head yet.

No comments: