Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Walking Bridge

On Sunday night I was preaching on 1 Timothy chapter 4 verses 12-16 about Paul’s exhortation to this young man going into the ministry. Well, the first of 5 things he mentions is about “words and that includes doctrine” and how we use them. Right off the top of my head (and this of course can get preachers in trouble) in pops this “story” of me crossing that bridge in Porto Alegre on my way to the train station.
“Walking bridges” are quite common here in the big cities, built to cross over busy highways. Some are even rather high off the ground. I was heading back to Sao Leopoldo after doing business in the big city. It is normally a 45 minute commute this way since the train stops about 8 times to drop off passengers on the way. I remember waking up the rather long ramp to get to steps that would take me up to the bridge. There were lots of people heading in the same direction. I had a black briefcase in my left hand and I was in no hurry. It would probably take a whole 3 minutes to cross this bridge. People were walking in both directions. I briefly looked down to the busy highway below and was thankful for at least a small guardrail on either side.
All of a sudden there was a young man by my side talking to me. He said, "Do you see that man up there in the red shirt? He is watching your every step and he is helping me rob you. Just don’t get any ideas of running away from me. I want your money. If you don’t give it to me I will push you over the guard rail and you will die."
I do believe that my pace slowed, however I did not immediately go for my wallet. I was angry, but “thank God” not to the point of sinning or doing something crazy. I did what I usually do in difficult situations like these. I start talking. I asked a question. “What are you needing money for?"
He said, "Never mind, just give me your wallet."
I said, "I can’t just give anybody money without knowing what they are needing it for so give me a good reason."
He told me that he needed money for him and his buddy to buy train tickets. Well, by then we were already past the highest point of the bridge and into a gradual decent. At that point I told him I would give him some money to help him and his buddy out. I felt less threatened at that moment since there were people all around and so I asked him another question.
I said, "Do you and your buddy do this on a regular basis? This is dangerous stuff. I am a pastor and I spend all my time helping young boys like you find their way though life without this kind of behavior."  I actually think that he believed me. He probably hadn’t met anyone quit like me before and I think he knew he was going to get my money. He just didn’t know how much.
Once across the bridge his buddy stopped, we stopped and I reached for my wallet. There were people all around. I said, with a smile on my face, "Let me invite you two to our service at First Baptist Church in Sao Leopoldo." I told them where the church was located. I really was sincere and they knew it. I gave them passage money and a bit extra but not by much. I think they left shaking their heads but still happy they got something.
I have often wondered what life would be like for all of us if we would on a regular basis, “live the gospel daily” by how we speak, the tone of our voice, our facial expressions, by our behavior, faith, love and purity and use words only when necessary. Joseph in the book of Genesis said very little but his example was powerful.
I plan to go on a rabbit trail from the book of 1 Timothy this Wednesday evening just to share from the Bible about a person who spoke little but carried a powerful testimony that to this day affects you and me. The power of example vs. the example of power is something Bill Clinton gave a speech on recently. It was regarded as one of his best. Not so sure too many who know the life of Joseph would be all that impressed. Love you! Dad.

No comments: